Searching for a job is often a process with many phases. It might be stressful, but if you prepare for it you are able to find new job faster and more easily. Before actually starting to search for a job, it is a good idea to map out your own areas of interest, know-how and strengths.
You could start by answering the following questions:
- What is your core competence, strengths and speciality?
- What kind of skills do you have, what can you do?
- What kind of feedback have you received from your previous places of work and study?
- What interests you and what gets you excited?
- What are your chances and limitations?
- What kind of future aspirations and goals do you have?
After you have answered to these questions it will be easier to write your CV and job application, and you can start searching for a job. Being intiative and active in job search is crucial, and it also worth to develop your job searching skills. One should also be flexible, unyielding and motivated to find a suitable job.
Job searching tips:
- Be active and flexible
- Use various channels for job search
- Make sure that your jod searching skills are in order and your papers are up to date.
- You can also find an interesting job through training or work-trial
- Keep your professional skills and know-how up to date
- Make use of social media in your job search
- Have you thought about entrepreneurship as an employment option?
- Are you customer of the Local Government pilots on Employment? There are services which you can benefit
- Do you need to develop your skills in job search?
- How could you update your skills in job search?
- How could you make use of your networks in job search?
Read more about job hunting and how to start it:
- Here you can read more about starting the job search and about the characteristics of a successful job-seeker (only in Finnish)
- Here you can read more about job searching tips
- Many employers use skill or aptitude tests during the process of looking for new employees. Aptitude tests are proven methods with which some of the most important factors of getting the job can be evaluated with. Such factors can be problem solving skills, effective communication and innovativeness and creativity.
- Guide to job search (only in Finnish)
- Job search training
- Finding a job
- Applying for work and career planning
- What to expect from job-seekers aptitude test? (only in Finnish)
- Hidden job market
Kirjoittajat: Kaisa Terävä ja Irina Erlamo